Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Active Inspire Project-"Identifying Instrument Families"

I recently completed a project with the Active Inspire software. I titled this flipchart "Identifying Instrument Families." I made a title page with examples of instruments from three of the sections found in a bad or orchestra program. My second page is a very detailed video made by a fellow music teacher. I found this useful video at youtube.com and it gives a basic overview of each of the instrument sections for the brass, woodwinds, and strings sections. My next few slides are titled "The Woodwind Family" "The Brass Family" and "The String Family"and each of the slides have a chart that has the name of the instrument covered up by a square shape to see if the students can identify the instruments by looking at the picture and listening to the audio clip provided for each instrument. After the class tries to identify the instrument a student can then come up to the interactive board to move the shape over to see if their answer is correct. I then listed my references, student performance indicators, student objectives, NETS-T standards, and textbook I used to complete this project.

What went well-I was aided by the active inspire software because it provided me with a photo of each of the instruments that I needed to complete this project. It was also fairly easy to change the colors, fonts, and move objects on every page.

 What did not go well- It took a lot of time to download and embed each of the sound files to my slides because the software did not include any of the sound files for any of the instruments with the exception to the trumpet, which I found bizarre. I also had a little bit of a problem with my video showing up on the appropriate page, but I finally figured out that problem. There was also a problem with my the name of my flipchart ending in a .afx instead of a .flipchart. Dr. O'Bannon nor anyone in the class could figure out why my flip chart was acting the way it was. I created it in the Active Inspire software but for some reason the file changed. As a result, I could not upload my project to my Tech Projects page. It could have been the file size that kept it from downloading and uploading the flipchart. I wouldn't take anything out of my flipchart though because I think all of the information that I included is essential for my project.

What could have gone better- I think that if the Promethean software could include more sound files this would definitely help out music teachers and keep them engaged in making flip charts and things of that nature. I also know that being more knowledgeable about the software in general will create a better environment for the students in the TPTE 486 classrooms to engage in projects such as this one.

Here is a screenshot of the title page of my flipchart!

No comments:

Post a Comment