Thursday, February 2, 2012

Miss Lovell's Music Class

What went well-I recently created a wiki about myself and my future music class titled "Miss Lovell's Music Class." It is not intended for any grade level specifically because I will be certified to teach grades K-12 in any class from general music, choral classes, band, orchestra, music theory, ear training, piano, private voice lessons, musicology, etc. I am very excited with myself that I was able to create this wiki by myself, and that I can add other users to my page as well. I love the button that the administrator uses to control the abilities the other users or future students have on my wiki page. That is a very helpful tool. Also I found out that you can post videos form you tube or teacher tube, upload graphics, backgrounds, and have powerpoints, and calanders on my wiki as well. I also found out that I can load an ongoing skype or voki speaking avatar to my wiki page as which is quite useful as I can have a more personal greeting for my students and their parents when they pull up our class wiki. I have already messed around with the coloring option on the home page and I have changed the color of my background and I think pink suits it well.

How will I utilize wikis in my classroom-I am already thinking about my summer schedule for teaching private voice lessons and how I will upload my students and their parents to my page with a calender of the dates that I will be available for lessons every week and the wiki could also be a place for students and parents to reschedule lessons for months when I will be out of the country like when I have my choir tour with the UT Chamber Singers at the end of June and beginning of July as we go to Ireland. I will also utilize wikis when we have classroom projects and we compete against all of the other classrooms for the grand prize. I know that if there is ever a classroom website designing contest my class will definitely win! :)

Whenever I teach in the choral classroom I will also use wikis to upload videos of recent performances and have students post videos of possible songs they would like to learn for a concert or festival.  They would be educated on acceptable use policies prior to any work on the wiki and punishment for inappropriate language or posts would be dealt with accordingly, but I trust that my students will make courteous comments, and I will never have to worry about those types of activities. I am confident that I will use wikis in the future for classroom suggestions on field trips, possible choir tour destinations, and suggestions for future musicals that my students are interested in performing in conjunction with the local theatre guild and the entire music department. Life is good in Amanda's musical world.

Miss Lovell's Music Class




No comments:

Post a Comment